Depending on your algorithm, you might be seeing a lot about Islam and its expansion into western countries. I wanted to spend a little more time focusing on how to interact with Muslims in our communities. There's a way to fundamentally disagree with a person without being mean or hateful to them. I know social media would have us believe otherwise, but I promise, it's possible!
Just before I moved out of Denton back in 2019, I went to the local mosque one last time. I had been there several times before because I had met so many Muslims from Saudi Arabia while I was teaching at UNT. I was genuinely interested in their culture and even their religion. I knew I could learn about Islam from Christians who had studied it, but I wanted to hear about it straight from the people who believed it, so I took the time to ask questions and listen. I got in many arguments, sometimes pretty heated ones, but over the years, I learned about Islam and made many Muslim friends.
They invited me to their mosque several times, and I went to eat and hang out, but I was clear that I would not bow or pray with them (eating the food is a matter of conscience, but I felt comfortable doing that). Because I was one of the only young male teachers at the ESL program in Denton, the young male Muslims loved me, and I joked that when I went to the mosque I felt like the Fonz because I knew all the young guys, and they all thought it was incredible that their teacher was at their mosque.
|
When I was getting close to moving away from Denton, I realized that I'd likely never know the Muslim community in Denton the same way again, so I went to the mosque one last time to video and ask people questions on camera. Below is a 10 minute video I shot in the mosque talking to a student from UNT named Ali. I decided to leave the whole second half of the conversation all together here so that you can see the kinds of things I said and the kinds of things he said in return.
Not all Muslims actually know their faith very well, which shouldn't be surprising since the same thing happens in Christianity. However, Ali obvioulsy cares about what he believes. In my experience, Muslims in the USA will try to show you how similar our faiths are to one another. Many Christians try to do the same thing, but that's not exactly helpful. In this conversation, you'll see me acknowledge the similarities, and acknowledge the differences. There are many differneces, but I chose to focus on the ones that pertain to Jesus.
|
HEALING MINISTRY TRAINING
SEPTEMBER 20, 11:00 AM |
Interested in Healing Ministry?
Our Healing Ministry team is extending an open invitation to anyone who would like to learn more.
Click HERE for more details.
|
REMCON FALL 2026
OCTOBER 1-3 |
if you would like to join us at RemCom this October, please click on this link for more information and how to register. REGISTER HERE
|
MEMBERSHIP INTEREST LUNCH
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11, 12:45PM
FAMILY LIFE CENTER |
If you are new to Wellspring, we invite you to meet the pastors and learn more about getting connected. Plan to attend the Membership Interest Lunch on August 10. Email office@wellspringdfw.org to register, and please let us know if you have children who will require childcare.
|
MANCHURCH RETREAT
OCTOBER 23-24 |
Men of Wellspring, it's time! Registration is open for the upcoming men's retreat.
Click HERE for more information and registration.
Registration closes October 12.
|
SCRIPTURE SONG WORSHIP NIGHT |
Join us for a night of Scripture Songs as we draw near to the Lord and meditate on His Word through song. Come worship with us as we allow Scripture to fill our hearts and voices!
|
Diana Goldman Memorial Service
Please join us as we remember and celebrate the life of Diana Goldman. Her memorial service will be held on Saturday, September 26, at 11:00 AM in the Worship Center, followed by light refreshments in the Family Life Center
|
Missed Sunday’s message? Catch up anytime, listen online and stay connected to what God is doing in our church family.
|
|
©2026 Wellspring Church
7300 Smithfield Rd, North Richland Hills, TX 76182
Unsubscribe
Comments
Post a Comment