We all know of the healing testimonies where the doctors had given up hope, and there was nothing that medicine could do, but God came through with a miraculous healing. I am starting to realize that I was trained in the faith-healing world to only "count" a healing if it happened like that. Maybe some of you have as well.
In one of my favorite books, Bruchko, when the Motelone, a primitive, jungle-dwelling tribe, became Christians, they started praying to God for healing. However, they would still administer the same potions, oils, and concoctions they always administered to the sick. After they began praying over them in the name of Jesus, the potions, oils, and concoctions became much more effective. In fact, Bruchko, who had a background in modern medicine, said that many times they would administer medicines that had nothing to do with the actual illnesses they were trying to cure, but the people would still get cured! To the Motelone, there was no difference between a natural cure, a medical cure, and a supernatural healing from God.
I realized that I had fallen into a mindset about healing that there is the supernatural type and the somewhat boring, unspectacular, natural type. In my mind, God was involved with one, but not the other. In some healing circles, people even demonize doctors and say that taking medicine is a manifestation of a lack of faith. I’m sure many of you have heard that. If you are like me, then you have also thrown out medicine as an act of faith for healing.
When we think of healing in that way, we tend to tell the supernatural healing stories, but we downplay or don’t even tell the healings that we think are “natural.” There are two young women at the church who have suffered for a long time, and our prayer team has been praying for them for a long time, and in the last two weeks, I have heard that they are no longer suffering from the issues they had been suffering with! In both cases, the healings look like they are connected to medicine. In the past, I would have been a bit letdown, but today I am trying to be a bit more like the primitive Motelone tribe. We prayed, we administered medicine, and God made it work!
Praise the Lord!
Do you have any testimonies like that?
I know I do. My cancer journey was just like that. We administered a ton of medicine, and God made it work. Not everyone gets out of that cancer battle alive, and I am embarrassed that I have considered it natural instead of praising God for making the natural means effective.
I'm ready for a new outlook on healing. Who's with me?
Dustin
Comments
Post a Comment